8 chicken thighs
15 ml (1 tbsp) each butter and sunflower oil, for frying
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500 ml (2 cups) Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
750 ml (3 cups) warm chicken stock
zest of 2 lemons and juice of 1 lemon
1 lemon, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
chopped parsley to garnish.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat the butter and oil in an ovenproof casserole dish or a deep pan. Fry the chicken 5-8 minutes (you want the skin a deep golden brown), remove from pan and put aside.
3. Using the same pan, sauté the onion till soft and translucent, add the garlic and stir for a minute.
4. Push the onion to one side and add the rice. Stir to coat the rice with the oil and fry till the rice is golden brown and toasty, some kernels will pop.
5. Mix the onion and rice, add the stock, lemon zest and juice. Put the chicken pieces on top. Push slices of lemon into the rice, taking care not to cover the chicken.
6. Cover with a lid and bake for 25 minutes till the rice is nice and fluffy. Remove the lid and cook 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.