For the Sweet Coconut Rice
1 ½ cups Spekko Saman White Rice
1 X 400 ml can coconut milk
15 ml (1 tbsp) white sugar (or more to sweetness preference)
5 ml (1 tsp) cinnamon
For the Filling (white chocolate ganache):
150 g white chocolate
100 g cream
For the Crumbs
7 cups chocolate flavoured cereal, crushed to form crumbs
4 egg whites
canola oil, for deep frying
15 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
vanilla ice cream
1. First make the sweet coconut rice: Place all the ingredients into a saucepan and stir until sugar dissolves.
2. Bring the mixture up to a simmer and then turn heat down to a medium low heat. Continue cooking for a further 20 – 25 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice and you are left with a sticky mixture.
3. Place the cooked rice onto a baking sheet to cool, while you prepare the rest of the components.
4. Make the filling by heating the cream in a saucepan to just before boiling point. Pour in the chocolate and allow to melt, then place into the fridge to set.
5. Crush the cereal for the crumb coating
6. Whisk the egg whites until foamy.
7. To assemble, take some cooled rice and form a small ball in your palm. Make an indentation in the ball and place a small amount of the set chocolate ganache in the hole, then close the ball.
8. Dip the rice ball into the egg white and then into the crumbs, repeat the process to get a double coating.
9. Place into heated oil and cook until the crust hardens.
10. Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.