1 medium free range chicken, giblets removed
60 ml (1/4 cup) butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
a medium handful parsley
30 ml(2 tbsp) sage, chopped
125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped dried apricots
60 g pine nuts, toasted
1 cup cooked Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
zest and juice of a lemon
salt and freshly milled pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the onions and garlic, season and fry over a low heat for 5 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Tip into a bowl and set aside to cool, before adding the parsley, sage, apricots, pine nuts, and Basmati rice.
- Season with the lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the chicken by gently nudging the skin over the breasts away from the flesh. Stuff with half of the stuffing.
- Pack the rest of the stuffing into the cavity of the chicken.
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper and dot with the rest of the butter.
- Place in a roasting tray and roast for 1 hour 15 minutes or until golden and the juices run clear.