1 cup Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
1 cup IMBO red lentils
For the masala mix
60 ml (4 tbsp) vegetable oil
100 g butter
1 bay leaf
1 cassia bark
6 – 8 green cardamom pods
5 ml (1 tsp) coriander powder
1 large onion, sliced
5 ml (1 tsp) ginger garlic paste
½ tsp turmeric
250 ml (1 cup) plain yoghurt
3 cups water
A handful of chopped fresh coriander
A handful of fresh chopped mint leaves
3 fresh green chillies, slit
Salt to taste
- Soak the rice and lentils in plenty of cold water.
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy based pot. Add the bay leaf, cassia bark, cardamom pods, gloves and the coriander powder. Sauté until the whole spices are fragrant.
- Add the sliced onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté until the raw smell of the ginger garlic disappears.
- Add the turmeric and the yoghurt. Simmer until the oil seeps to the top.
- Drain the rice and lentils and add to the masala mixture, stirring until the rice and lentils are all coated. Add the 3 cups of water.
- Add the chopped fresh coriander, mint and the 3 chillies. Close the pot and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until the rice and lentils are cooked. Add salt to taste.
- Serve plain or with pickles of your choice.