4 red peppers
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
5ml (1tsp) sweet paprika
2 X 410g cans chopped tomatoes
10ml (2tsp) sugar
1,5litres (6 cups) vegetable stock
60ml (4 tbsp) cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
fresh coriander leaves to serve
For the rice meatballs
250g beef mince
250ml (1 cup) cooked SpekkoSaman Brown Rice
1 clove garlic, crushed
10ml (2tsp) fresh coriander, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying
- The beef can be replaced by chicken.
- Use any Spekko Rice variant in this dish.
1. Place peppers under a hot grill and turn them regularly until they are charred all over. Place them in a plastic bag, seal tightly and leave for 15 minutes. Peel and deseed peppers. Chop roughly.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and paprika. Cook until soft. Add the tomatoes, peppers, sugar and stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cool, place in blender and blitz until smooth. Return to saucepan, stir through cream and season.
3. To make meatballs: combine all the ingredients together and roll the mixture into small balls. Heat oil and pan-fry until cooked, drain on paper towels.
4. To serve: ladle soup into bowls, add meatballs and garnish with coriander leaves.
This filling soup has a lovely red colour and is perfect to serve on cold winter evenings.