1 kg washed spinach
25 g butter
1medium onion peeled and chopped
1bunch spring onions chopped
1 lemon juiced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
250 ml (1 cup) cooked Spekko Saman Brown Rice
A pinch of nutmeg
10 g chopped parsley
20 ml ( 4 tsp)roasted peanuts
20 ml (4 tsp)sultanas
4 sweet red peppers, halved and cleaned
Bulgarian yoghurt to serve
- Heat the oven to 180 ºC and grease an ovenproof dish.
- Remove the stems from the spinach, blanch in boiling water, place in a colander and refresh with cold water until cold. Squeeze out excess water and chop roughly.
- Heat the butter over a low heat, sauté the chopped onion and spring onion. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the Spekko brown rice and then the spinach and heat through. Then add the nutmeg, chopped parsley, peanuts and sultanas.
- Fill each red pepper with the rice mixture. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, then serve with some Bulgarian yoghurt.