75 ml (5 tbsp) sunflower oil
2 cinnamon sticks
3 bay leaves
2 onions, grated
15 ml (1 tbsp) grated ginger
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1,2 kg lamb shoulder, cut into pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
375 ml (1½ cups) Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
5 ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
1 onion, sliced
200 g baby spinach
6 hardboiled eggs, halved (optional)
50 ml roasted pine nuts or flaked almonds
60 ml (¼ cup) chopped coriander
1. Heat 45 ml of the oil in a pot, add cinnamon sticks and bay leaves. Fry the whole spices until fragrant. Add grated onions and sauté until golden brown.
2. Add ginger and garlic and sauté for a few seconds ensuring that the garlic does not burn.
3. Add lamb and coat with onion mixture. Sauté lamb until it begins to stick.
4. Add 500 ml boiling water and simmer for 1-1½ hours or until lamb is tender. Season to taste.
5. Meanwhile, cook Spekko Basmati Rice according to instructions on pack. Drain and keep warm.
6. Heat remaining oil in a pot on medium heat. Fry cumin seeds until they begin to sizzle and add sliced onion. Sauté onion until golden brown, add spinach and sauté for a minute.
7. Fold spinach mixture into hot rice and season to taste.
8. Garnish lamb with eggs, pine nuts and coriander and serve with rice.