5 ml (1 tsp) Cumin seeds
5 ml (1 tsp) Coriander seeds
3 Cardamom pods
Oil for frying
1 Onion, chopped
2 Cups split lentils
½ Tsp dried chilli
2 Cups vegetable stock
2 Aubergines, cut in 2 cm slices
5 – 10 l (1 – 2 tsp) Curry powder
Salt and milled pepper
For the coconut rice
1 Cup Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
1 X 400 ml Can coconut milk
125 ml (1/2 cup) Toasted coconut
30 ml (2 tbsp) Chopped fresh coriander
Plain yoghurt for serving
1. Toast the cumin and coriander seeds, cloves and cardamom pods in a dry pan, and then grind the spices to a powder.
2. Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan and fry the onions until they are tender.
3. Add the ground spices, lentils and dried chilli. Cover with the stock and gently simmer until the lentils are tender and swollen.
4. Meanwhile, brush olive oil over the sides of the aubergine slices, and sprinkle with the curry powder, salt and pepper.
5. Fry the aubergines in a pan over a low to medium heat until browned and the flesh is tender. Remove the skins of the aubergines and cut into large dices.
6. When the dhal is cooked, mash it slightly with a potato masher and season to taste.
7. Gently mix the aubergine into the dhal.
8. To make the coconut rice: Simmer the basmati rice in the coconut milk and water for 15 minutes. Cover, turn the heat down to low and leave to steam for 5 minutes.
9. Fluff it with a fork and stir through the coconut and chopped coriander.
10. Serve the dhal with the cooked basmati rice and garnish with fresh coriander and a dollop of plain yoghurt.