30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
2 small onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large carrots, diced
4 celery stalks, diced
30 ml (2 tbsp) harissa paste
5 ml (1 tsp) freshly ground cumin
5 ml (1 tsp) freshly ground coriander
7 ml (1 ½ tsp) caraway seeds
500 g firm white fish chunks
4-5 cups water
3/4 cup Spekko Saman Brown Rice
Salt and black pepper to taste.
For the creamed feta paste
100 g feta, broken into large chunks
65 ml (1/4 cup) crème fraîche
250 ml (1 cup) fresh coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
125 ml (1/2 cup) mint leaves
Pinch of salt
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until translucent.
3. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery and continue cooking for another 8 minutes.
4. Add the harissa, cumin, coriander, and caraway seeds and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring well.
5. Gently flash fry the fish and add to mixture–you don’t want to break down the chunks — along with most of the salt and plenty of black pepper.
6. Add most of the water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile cook the rice according to the instructions on the pack.
8. To make the feta paste, put the feta, crème fraîche, coriander, mint, and salt in the bowl and blitz for a couple of minutes, until creamy.
9. Before serving, add the rice to the soup and bring to a gentle simmer. Divide the soup among bowls, add a spoonful of feta paste to each bowl, top with some herbs, and serve.