3 cups Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
250 ml (1 cup) lentils
45 m (3 tbsp) oil or ghee
2 large onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 X 3 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 green pepper
45 ml (3 tbsp) biryani masala
5 sticks of cinnamon
5 cardamom pods
10 chicken pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 eggs, hardboiled
1. Cook the rice and lentils according to the instructions on the pack. Drain and mix together.
2. Heat the oil or ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot, then fry the onion, garlic, ginger and green pepper until the onion is soft.
3. Add the biryani masala, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and mix through.
4. Add the chicken pieces and brown. Season to taste.
5. Layer the rice and lentil mix with the chicken, ending with a layer of rice in a large pot.
6. Cut 4 of the eggs in quarters and mix through without breaking. Add butter to the top.
7. Cover with waxed paper, then the lid of the pot. Simmer very slowly for about an hour.
8. Garnish with the remaining egg and serve