6 lamb shanks, kept whole, the thin ends trimmed to expose the
65 ml (¼ cup) tomato paste
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bay leaves
125 ml (½ cup) brandy
250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
18 black olives, pitted and halved
10 sun-dried tomatoes in oil cut into small pieces
Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Layer the lamb shanks in a roasting tin and spread with the tomato paste. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Add olive oil in a large heavy-based pot which can take all the shanks in a single layer. Add the chopped vegetables and garlic. Cook covered over gentle heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the bay leaves and then the roasted shanks.
- Pour the brandy into the roasting tin, simmer on top of stove over moderate heat, stirring constantly as you bring the brandy to boiling point.
- Add the stock and simmer, still stirring for a minute. Pour over the shanks adding enough boiling water almost to cover them. Add water from time to time if liquid level falls too low.
- Cover and simmer on the stovetop or in an oven at 150-160 degrees for 1-1 ½ hours until very tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve sprinkled with the black olives and pieces of sun-dried tomatoes.
- Serve over warm Spekko Rice.