500 g beef shin, cubed
30 ml (2 tbsp) flour
Salt and black pepper
30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery, chopped
Zest of 1 orange
Juice of ½ orange
550 ml water
2 beef stock cubes
1 butternut, cubed
1 potato, cubed
2 star anise pods or 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
1 ½ cups Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
1. Dust the cubed beef with the flour, salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Seal the meat in batches. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same pot, sauté the onion, celery and carrot.
4. Add the orange juice, orange zest and star anise. Cook until soft.
5. Dissolve the beef stock cubes in the water, then add to the mixture.
6. Add the beef. Bring to boil and lower the heat to low. Simmer slowly for 40 minutes.
7. Then add the cubed butternut and potato. Add more water if needed.
8. Cook for a further 20 – 30 minutes on low heat until the butternut and potato is cooked.
9. While the meat is stewing, cook the Spekko Rice according to the instructions on the pack.