15ml (1 tbsp) masala curry powder
125ml (1/2 cup) cake flour
6 chicken breasts
olive or avocado oil, for frying
2 onions, sliced
10ml (2 tsp) cumin seeds
1 garlic clove, crushed
3cm ginger, finely grated
410g can chopped tomatoes
375ml (1 ½ cups) plain yoghurt
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
For the sambal
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
10ml (2 tsp) sugar
30ml (2 tbsp) white vinegar
Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice to serve
1. Mix half of the masala with the flour. Season.
2. Cut the chicken into bite-size cubes and mix through the flour, shaking off the excess.
3. Heat a splash of oil in a pot on medium-high and fry the chicken in batches until golden. Season and set aside.
4. Heat another splash of oil and sauté the onions and cumin. Add the garlic, ginger and
remaining masala and fry for 1 minute.
5. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken and then simmer for about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add a splash of water, if necessary, to prevent the curry from drying out.
6. When cooked, mix through the yoghurt and chopped coriander leaves. Do not boil again, but heat through.
7. For the sambal, mix the onion, tomatoes, sugar and vinegar.
Serve the curry with extra yoghurt, thesambal and Spekko Long Grain Parboiled