8 chicken thighs, with skin
15 ml (1 tbsp) hot mustard
crushed black pepper
45 ml (3 tbsp) lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, crushed
125 ml (1/2 cu) chopped coriander
30 ml (2 tbsp) sunflower oil
For the caramelised onion rice
15 ml (1 tbsp) sunflower oil
3 onions, sliced
15 ml (1 tbsp)brown sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp)balsamic vinegar
3 cups cooked Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
1. Rub hot mustard over the chicken thighs. Season with salt and black pepper. Pour over the lemon juice and rub the crushed garlic into the thighs. Leave to marinate. An hour would do but overnight works best.
2. Heat oven to 180ºC.
3. Heat a pan and drizzle the sunflower oil over the pan. Brown the chicken thighs skin side down first, then turn, until brown and crispy.
4. Place the chicken on a baking tray and bake for 7 – 8 minutes until the juices from the thighs run clear when tested with a skewer.
5. Sprinkle chopped coriander over the chicken thighs and serve with caramelised onion rice.
6. To prepare the calamelised onion rice, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and sauté onion until tender and translucent.
7. Add brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and cook until the onions are caramelised. Season.
8. Place the caramelised onions over the cooked Spekko Rice and serve hot with the mustard chicken thighs.