12 prawns, in shells
4¼ cups (1.2 litre) chicken or fish stock
½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
220 g chorizo sausages, sliced
8 cloves garlic, 2 finely chopped and 6 whole
1 large onion, finely diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 sprig thyme
1 tsp (5 ml) smoked paprika
1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
1 pinch chilli flakes
550 ml Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine
Pinch of saffron strands
4 large tomatoes, diced
400 g sustainable line fish, cut into chunks
12 mussels, cleaned
450 g baby squid or calamari, cleaned and sliced
Salt and milled pepper
1 handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
Lemon wedges, to serve
- Removeprawn heads and shells (reserve the prawn meat) and pop into a pot with stock to cook through.
- Heathalf the olive oil in a paella dish or heavy-based saucepan and fry the chorizo for a minute until crisp.
- Add chopped garlic, onion and red pepper and fry until softened.
- Addthyme, paprika, chilli flakes and rice, and stir until rice is coated and glossy.
- Add wine and half the stock (minus the prawn head and shells) and cook for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Stirthrough saffron and tomatoes.
- Topwith mussels and fish and add the remaining stock. Simmer with the lid on for 5 minutes.
- Heatremaining olive oil and garlic cloves in a separate pan and fry the prawns and calamari in batches. Season and stir through rice.
- Serve immediately with chopped parsley and lemon wedges
Cook’s note: Keep an eye on the rice and add a splash of stock if it starts to look dry.