Red and yellow food colouring
1 litre Oil
500g Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
5ml (1tsp) Cumin seeds
15ml (1tbsp) Fennel seeds
15ml (1 tbsp) Poppy seeds
15ml (1 tbsp) Chilli powder
15ml (1 tbsp) Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- Divide potatoes into two portions, colour one half red and the other green.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Then, in a frying basket or a fine wire slotted spoon, fry Spekko Rice a little at a time until puffed up. Set aside.
- Then fry peanuts until light brown. Set aside.
- Fry the potatoes until crisp. Set aside.
- In a large ovenproof dish, add almonds, cumin, fennel, poppy seeds with a tablespoon of oil and allow to toast for 20 minutes on a moderate heat.
- Remove from oven, lower heat to 160 °C.
- Mix rice, peanuts, potatoes, almond and seed mixture, cornflakes, chilli powder and the sugar. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.