125 ml (1/2 cup) sunflower oil
2 onions, sliced
60 ml (4 tbsp) cashew nuts
75 ml (5 tbsp) boiling water
5 ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
10 ml (2 tsp) crushed garlic
10 ml (2 tsp) red chilli powder
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
5 ml (1 tsp) garam masala
2,5 ml turmeric
salt to taste
750 g chicken fillets, sliced
2 tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato sauce
60 ml (4 tbsp) fresh cream
onion slices for garnish
green pepper slices for garnish
fresh chopped coriander
6 cups cooked Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
1. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry onion slices till golden brown. Remove from oil, drain and set aside.
2. Soak cashew nuts in boiling water for ten minutes. Place the cashew nuts with water and fried onion slices into a liquidizer and blend until a smooth paste is formed.
3. Heat another 4 tablespoons oil in a pot. Add the cumin seeds and when they begin to splutter, add the chopped onion. Sauté chopped onion until golden brown.
4. Add the crushed garlic and stir. Stir in the powdered red chilli, cumin, coriander, garam masala and turmeric.
5. Add sliced chicken fillet. Stir fry the chicken fillet in the spicy onion paste until it begins to stick. Stir in the chopped tomatoes. The moisture from the tomatoes will allow you to scrape the spices off the bottom of the pot.
6. Once the tomato has broken down into a thick pulp, add the brown onion and cashew paste and tomato sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens and add water if necessary.
7. Pour in the fresh cream and remove from the heat.
8. To make the garnish, heat the remaining oil in a pan and sauté the sliced onion and green pepper.
9. Garnish the chicken with onion, green pepper and fresh coriander. Serve with Spekko Basmati Rice.