For the crust
250 m (1 cup) flour
1/2 tsp salt
5 ml (1 tsp) mustard powder
125 g cold butter, cut into blocks
125 g creamed cottage cheese
For the filling
675 g chicken breast fillets
500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
60 ml (4 tbsp) butter
60 ml (4 tbsp) flour
375 ml (1 ½ cups) milk
45 m (3 tbsp) sherry
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
1 onion, sliced
3 carrots, sliced into rings
2 celery ribs, finely sliced
125 ml (1/2 cup) frozen peas
45 ml (3 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
6 cups cooked Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
- Make the crust by sifting the flour, salt mustard powder together. Rub the butter with your fingertips into the dry ingredients until crumbly.
- Add the cottage cheese to make a soft dough. Place in the fridge for a few hours.
- In the meanwhile make the filling by simmering the chicken fillets in the stock until the chicken is soft. Remove the chicken and set aside. Keep the stock to make the sauce.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add the flour. Sauté for 1 minute. Take off the heat and add 500 ml of the reserved stock. Whisk until mixed through.
- Add the milk, whisk again, and then heat to a simmering point.
- Slice the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces, then add to the simmering stock and milk mixture.
- Add the sherry, simmer for a minute, then add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 180 ºC.
- In a new pot, heat the butter and sauté the onion, carrots and celery until soft. Add the peas and parsley.
- Mix the vegetables with the chicken and sauce. Place in a greased casserole dish. Set aside to cool.
- Roll the pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of 3 mm. Top the chicken pie with the pastry. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown and cooked.
- Serve with the Spekko Saman White Rice.