1 Onion, finely sliced
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
10 ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
salt and pepper
250 ml (1 cup) Spekko Saman Brown Rice
625 ml (2 ½ cups) chicken or vegetable stock
1 X 400 g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
500 ml (2 cups) baby spinach leaves
1/3 cup raisins
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, spices, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until onion is softened.
2. Add the rice and stock, bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for until rice is cooked through.
3. Add chickpeas and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the spinach and raisins.
4. Cover, stand for 5 minutes to wilt spinach slightly, and then serve.
From the Spekko kitchen
· For a meaty dish, you can add chorizo or bacon and leave out the raisins.