5 ml (3 tbsp) butter
1 onion, finely chopped
250 g Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice
½ tsp salt
very generous pinch of saffron
800 ml warm chicken stock
50 g Parmesan cheese, grated
150 g mozzarella cheese, chopped into chunks
1 chorizo sausage, diced
1 egg, beaten
250 m (1 cup)flour
500 ml (2 cups) breadcrumbs
vegetable oil, to cook
For the chili mayonnaise dipping sauce
2 egg yolks
30 m (2 tbsp) white wine vinegar or lemon juice
500 ml (2 cups)oil
2 fresh chillies, seeded and chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
- Make the classic risotto first. Heat the butter in a pot. Sauté the onion until just
- Transparent. Then add the rice and stir until coated. Add the salt and saffron.
- Add the stock ladle by ladleful whilst stirring, waiting each time until the rice has absorbed the liquid. Cook until the rice is al dente.
- Add the Parmesan cheese. Mix through and set aside to cool completely.
- Set out the egg, flour and breadcrumbs in separate bowls.
- Roll the rice into walnut sized pieces, flatten in the palm of your hand. Then add a piece of mozzarella and chorizo. Roll to enclose.
- Dip each rice ball into the flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Set out on a greased tray and cool down in the fridge for at least half an hour or more.
- Heat the oil in a pan and shallow-fry the arancini in batches until brown and cooked. Drain, then serve with the chilli mayonnaise dipping sauce.
- To make the dipping sauce, whisk the egg yolks until creamy. Whip in the vinegar or lemon juice.
- Add the oil, little by little, whisking each time until completely incorporated.
- Finally add the chillies, garlic, salt and pepper.