185 ml Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice
zest of ½ a lemon
zest of ½ an orange
500 ml fresh cream
1 vanilla bean, split
6 egg yolks185 ml castor sugar
125 ml (1/2 cup) roasted flaked almonds
Icing sugar to dust
200 ml mascarpone cheese, to serve
Caramelised orange segments to serve, optional
1. Preheat oven to 140ºC. Place the Spekko Jasmine Rice, lemon zest, orange zest and water in a non-stick pot. Cover with boiling water and boil until tender. Drain in a colander and cool.
2. Pour the fresh cream into a saucepan. Add vanilla bean and bring to the boil. Once the cream bubbles up, remove from heat and cover with cling film. Leave to infuse for ten minutes. Reheat the cream mixture.
3. Mix the egg yolk and castor sugar together until it forms a thick paste. Pour the boiling cream into the egg yolk and sugar paste in a steady stream whisking continuously. Strain the cream mixture to remove any bits of egg yolk.
4. Stir in the cold rice. Pour the mixture into a greased flan tin and bake for 45 minutes or until the centre is set. It should be slightly wobbly in the centre. Leave to cool and then slice. Dust with icing sugar. Sprinkle the roasted flaked almonds over and serve with a blob of mascapone.
5. To caramelise orange segments: Peel orange and remove as much pith as possible. Heat a non-stick frying pan. Sprinkle castor sugar over the segments and immediately place on a hot pan. Turn the segments over when the sugar caramelizes. Remove from the pan and arrange the segments on top of the citrus rice flan.