500g Sheep\’s tripe, cleaned well
750ml (3 cups) Beef stock
45ml (3 tbsp) Butter
1 Onion, thinly sliced
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
15ml (1 tbsp) Grated ginger
150g Leeks, julienned
200g Carrots, julienned
Salt and pepper to taste
500g Madumbe or sweet potato, peeled
45ml (3 tbsp) Harissa paste
15ml (1 tbsp) Fresh parsley, chopped
250ml (1 cup) Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
Salt to taste
1. Cook the tripe in stock until soft + – 3 hours. Remove from stock and allow to cool. When cool enough cut into very thin strips using a pair of scissors.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan and sauté onions, garlic and ginger until soft.
3. Add leeks and carrots, stir fry for 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add tripe and cream and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
4. In the meantime cook Madumbe in boiling water until soft, drain from the water and add harissa paste and chopped parsley mash until smooth.
5. Cook Spekko Rice in boiling water as instructed on packet, season with salt.
6. Serve the creamy trip on rice, with Madumbe mash on the side.
From the Spekko kitchen
· You can double this dish for a crowd.
· Always make sure your tripe comes from a reputable butcher, and is fresh.