- 4 legs of duck
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125 ml (½ cup) brown sugar
- 125 ml (½ cup) white wine vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- juice and rind of 1 orange
- ¼ each red and yellow pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 500 ml (2 cups) Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice
- 5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) flaked almonds, lightly toasted (or use peanuts or any other nuts)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Prick duck skin with a fork, season with salt and pepper. Place duck or chicken legs in a roasting tin drizzled with olive oil and cook in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover lightly with foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- To make the caramel vinegar: In a small saucepan cook sugar, vinegar, cinnamon and green chilli, stirring over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes or until syrupy, stir in chicken stock and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Add the orange juice, rind and pepper strips; simmer gently until thick and syrupy. Season to taste.
- To make the nutty rice: Cook the Spekko rice in boiling water, seasoned with turmeric and salt until soft + – 20 minutes. Drain.
- Add almonds or other nuts and butter and toss lightly. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Always look at the instructions on the Spekko pack on how to cook your rice perfectly.
- Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice can be used instead of the Jasmine.
From the Spekko kitchen