150 g Spekko Saman Brown Rice
15 ml canola oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 thumb ginger, finely chopped
1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
15 ml garam masala
5 ml ground coriander
2.5 ml ground cumin
5 ml turmeric
10 g finely grated fresh coriander, chopped
½ cup mozzarella + extra for serving
30 ml cake flour
Vegetable (cooking) oil for deep-frying
For the coating
½ cup cake flour
2 eggs, whisked
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
For the achar mayonnaise
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup mango atchar
15 ml honey
15 ml lemon juice
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- Heat the 15 ml canola oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and tomato. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and sauté for a further 5 minutes, until everything is soft and cooked.
- Add the garam masala, coriander, cumin and turmeric and cook until fragrant – about 1 minute. Then remove from the heat.
- Add the rice, coriander, mozzarella and flour, and mix everything together well. Season to taste.
- Roll the arancini into even balls, about golf-ball size. Leave to set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pot over a medium heat.
- While the oil is heating up, prepare the balls for frying. Toss them in the flour, then in the egg, and lastly roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Test the oil temperature by starting with just one arancini.
- Fry the balls in batches until golden, then leave to drain on paper towel.
- Make the atchar mayonnaise by mixing together the mayonnaise, atchar, honey and lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Serve the curried rice balls warm sprinkled with extra mozzarella, with atchar mayonnaise on the side.