45ml (3 tbsp) Oil
4 Onions, chopped
3 Cloves of garlic, crushed
1X 3cm piece Fresh ginger
1 Green chilli, thinly sliced
1kg Lamb neck or stewing pieces
15ml (1 tbsp) Curry powder
15ml (1 tbsp) Turmeric
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Cinnamon stick
2 Whole cloves
2 Bay leaves
2 Carrots, cut into rings
250ml (1 cup) Dried apricots
125ml (1/2 cup) Masala wine
500ml (2 cups) Beef or lamb stock
4 cups Cooked Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
Sambals and chutney to serve
1. Heat the oil in a thick bottomed pot and sauté the onions until soft.
2. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and sauté for another minute.
3. Add the meat and brown.
4. Mix in the curry powder and turmeric and season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and lower the heat to a very slow simmer and cook for about 1 ½ – 2 hours until the meat is soft and cooked and the sauce has thickened.
6. Serve with Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice with sambal and chutney on the side.