60 ml (4 tbsp) oil
5 ml (1 tsp) mustard seeds
4 Cardamom pods
5 ml (1 tsp) fennel seeds
1 Large onion, finely sliced
1 Sprig curry leaves
3 Green chilies sliced in half
15 ml (1 tbsp) ground ginger
15 ml (1 tbsp) crushed garlic
5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric powder
5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
15 ml (1 tbsp) chilli powder (increase for a hotter curry)
4 large round tomatoes, skinned and grated or liquidized
45 ml (3 tbsp) finely chopped coriander stems
1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
1 kg large orange or blue crab pieces
50 ml fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste
100 ml coconut milk
Coriander leaves to garnish
Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice to serve
1. Heat oil in large flat bottom pot.
2. Add mustard seeds and allow to “pop”.
3. Add cardamom pods and fennel seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add onions and fry until translucent and slightly brown.
5. Stir in curry leaves, green chilies, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, coriander, cumin and chilli powder.
6. Add blended tomatoes and sugar immediately thereafter together with the chopped coriander stems.
7. Simmer this mixture until the sauce reduces and resembles thick rich gravy (observe when the oil starts to separate from this mixture) then add crab, lemon juice and sprinkle in salt.
8. Simmer for 3 minutes, pour in coconut milk and simmer for a further 4 – 6 minutes.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, remove from heat.
10. Serve with Spekko Parboiled Long Grain Rice.