125 ml (½ cup) Spekko Saman White Rice
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
500 ml (2 cups) hot water
7,5 ml (1 ½ tsp) vegetable stock powder
¼ tsp turmeric
2,5 ml (½ tsp) curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
30 ml (2 tbsp) grated Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs
125 g mozzarella cheese
250 ml (1 cup) breadcrumbs
Oil for frying
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in saucepan and fry onion until soft (not browned).
- Stir in rice and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup hot water, vegetable stock powder, turmeric, curry powder, salt and pepper and bring to boil.
- Add more hot water as needs when water evaporates.
- When rice has cooked drain out remaining water and stir in Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Cool this mixture then add in the whisked eggs.
- Cut mozzarella into 1 cm cubes.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of rice in the palm of your hand slightly flatten and place a piece of the cheese in the centre. Add another tablespoon of rice over this and form a “ball” completely enclosing the cheese.
- Roll these balls in breadcrumbs and season with salt.
- Place in refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Fry cheese balls in deep oil until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow draining.Dee