250 ml (1 cup) grapefruit juice
60 ml (1/4 cup) sunflower oil
60 ml (1/4 cup) honey
5 ml (1 tsp) chilli flake
1 glove garlic, crushed
5 sprigs fresh thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 drum and thigh chicken pieces
12 baby onions, peeled
2 grapefruits, sliced into rounds
2 oranges, sliced into rounds
4 cups cooked Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
green salad to serve
1. Whisk the juice, oil, honey, chilli, garlic and thyme together. Season. Transfer to a large sealable plastic bag.
2. Place the chicken pieces, along with the onions in the bag, seal and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 200° C.
4. Remove the chicken pieces, thyme and onions with a slotted spoon and place in a baking dish. Pour one third of the marinade over the chicken and roast for 30 – 40 minutes until golden and tender.
5. Baste the chicken with the juices as it cooks.
6. When the chicken has cooked for 20 minutes, add the sliced grapefruit and oranges to the baking dish and roast for another 10 – 15 minutes.
7. Serve with Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice.