300 g Arborio rice/ or use Spekko Parboiled Rice or Spekko Saman White Rice
1.25 liters (5 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
125 ml (1/2 cup) white wine
100 g (1 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
150 g (1 cup) frozen peas
knob of butter
salt and pepper
1 bunch green asparagus, woody ends trimmed
6 thick slices ham, diced
100 g mange tout (optional)
pea shoots and shaved Parmesan to served
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Add the rice and stock to a Dutch oven or casserole dish. Cover, then bake 45 – 50 minutes until the rice is al dente and most of the liquid is absorbed.
3. Remove from the oven, then add the wine, grated Parmesan, peas, butter and seasoning. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon for 3 – 4 minutes until the rice is creamy.
4. Add the asparagus, ham and mange tout. Stir, then cover and heat in the oven for another 5 minutes.
5. Serve hot with pea shoots and Parmesan cheese shavings.