1 cup Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice
625ml (1 ½ cups) Water
¼ cup Rice vinegar
1/3 cup Fish sauce
30ml (2 tbsp) Sugar
¼ cup Sriracha sauce
300g Ground beef
¼ cup Salted peanuts
Cucumber & mint for serving
- Mix the rice and water. Do not rinse the rice. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and steam until tender, about 15 – 20 minutes depending on how long your rice takes to cook. Taste a grain or two of rice off the top to make sure it is tender. Set aside for 15 minutes covered, and off the heat.
- In a large bowl, mix a few pinches of sugar with a splash of rice vinegar and a pinch of salt. Add the rice and fold/cut the rice with the vinegar/salt/sugar. Continue mixing until the rice is cooled.
- Meanwhile, mix the fish sauce, remaining sugar and rice vinegar, and sriracha to form a sauce.
- Form two burger patties by binding the meat with the egg and pour the sauce over the burgers. Allow to marinade for a half hour, flipping once or twice.
- Fire up your flat grill or frying pan. With wet hands to prevent sticking, form the sushi rice into 4 patties the same size as the burgers. Cook the rice patties at a medium/high heat on one side only to brown the rice and help fuse the rice together, this also makes it less sticky for people to hold. Once browned, remove from heat.
- Grill the burgers.
- Top the bottom rice patty with peanuts. Then put the burger on top, followed by sliced cucumber, mint leaves, and then the top rice patty so that the browned rice is at the top and bottom of the sandwich for you to hold. Serve!