750g lamb mince
2 Onions, grated
2 Potatoes, boiled and peeled
2 Green chillies, finely chopped
5 ml (1 tsp) red chilli powder
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
5 ml (1 tsp) garam masala
pinch of turmeric
salt to season
handful fresh coriander, chopped
Coconut rice salad
50 ml sunflower oil
2 Onions, chopped
5 ml cumin seeds
5 cm fresh ginger, thinly sliced
100 ml coconut milk
4 cups cooked Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
chopped parsley to garnish
chopped tomatoes, green, yellow and red peppers and cucumber to garnish.
1. Heat the oven to 180ºC.
2. To make the Koftas, place the grated onion in a sieve and squeeze out excess moisture.
3. Mash the boiled potatoes until smooth.
4. Place all ingredients for the koftas in a large metallic mixing bowl and `knead’ until well combined. Grease your palms with oil and mould the mince mixture into balls. Heat a non-stick frying pan and drizzle with oil. Seal the koftas until they are a golden brown on the outside. Remove and set on a greased baking tray. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until cooked through.
5. To make the rice salad, heat the sunflower oil in a pot and sauté the chopped onions until just transparent. Add the cumin seeds and ginger and saute until fragrant.
6. Add the coconut milk and rice and heat through. Set aside to cool.
7. Garnish with chopped parsley.
8. Serve the Koftas on sticks, garnished with the chopped tomatoes and peppers.