15 ml(1 tbs) flour
15 ml (1 tbsp) ground cinnamon
Salt and white pepper
3 – 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
500 ml (2 cups) beef or lamb stock
250 ml (1 cup) golden sultanas
3 bunches grapes
1 cinnamon stick
5 ml (1 tsp) ground ginger
2,5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cumin
1,25 ml (1/2 tsp) cayenne pepper
1 cup Spekko Saman Brown Rice
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2. Combine the flour, ground cinnamon and salt and pepper. Rub the shanks well with this mixture.
2. Place the lamb shanks and half of the stock in a Dutch oven or ovenproof casserole dish. Bake the shanks, uncovered, for 20 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned.
3. Add the remaining stock, sultanas, 2 bunches of the grapes and spices. Cover and bake for a further 45 minutes.
4. Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Drain, then add to the dish, making sure the rice is covered by liquid (add more stock if needed).
5. Bake, covered, for another 30 minutes, or until the shanks are completely tender and the rice is cooked.
6. Top with the remaining bunch of grapes and bake (without the lid) for another
15 minutes to let the rice steam through.