500g Chorizo sausage, sliced
500g Smoked ham, diced
15ml (1 tbsp) Unsalted butter
1 White onion, finely chopped
3 Celery stalks, finely chopped
1 Green pepper, finely chopped
1 Red pepper, finely chopped
3 Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
3 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 Jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
30ml (2 tbsp) Tomato paste
15ml (1 tbsp) Finely chopped fresh thyme
4½ cups Chicken stock
3 cups Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
4 Bay leaves
10 dashes Tobasco sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
500g Prawns, peeled and cleaned
¼ cup Chopped spring onions
125ml (½ cup) Chopped parsley
Lemon wedges for serving
- Cook sausage and ham in a large pot over medium heat, stir occasionally until brown which will take about 10 minutes, transfer to a plate and wipe out the pot.
- Melt butter in same pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, peppers, and one teaspoon of salt stirring frequently until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in tomatoes, garlic, jalepeno, tomato paste and thyme. Cook until heated through and season with salt.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Stir in rice, bay leaves and Tobasco sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in sausage and ham. Cook until heated through (5 minutes)
- Add the prawns, spring onions and half of the parsley. Stir thoroughly, then cover the pot and turn off the heat.
- Let jambalaya sit until the prawns are cooked through which will take 15 -18 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl then top with remaining parsley and serve with lemon wedges.