150 ml olive oil
6 baby leeks, thinly sliced, rinsed and patted dry
500 ml (2 cups) cooked Spekko Saman Brown Rice
2 red peppers, roasted and cut into strips (see below)
250 ml (1 cup) sultanas
250 ml (1 cup) coarsely chopped Italian parsley, plus extra for garnishing
250 ml (1 cup) roasted cashew nuts
125 ml (½ cup) roasted pine nuts (optional)
4-6 spring onions with leaves, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
juice of 1 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
200 g haloumi cheese, cubed
extra chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat 30 ml of the oil in a frying pan and fry leeks in batches until golden and crispy. Spoon out and drain on paper towel.
- Stir leeks intoSpekkoSaman Brown Rice with 50 ml of the oil. Add rest of the ingredients, except haloumi and extra parsley. Toss through, season to taste and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Just before serving, heat some of remaining oil and fry haloumi until golden brown. Drain on paper towel and repeat with remaining oil and cheese.
- Scatter haloumi over salad and add extra parsley. Season to taste with salt, pepper and more lemon juice if preferred. As
- Roasted peppers are available from most delis, but you can easily make your own. Preheat and oven to 200 °C and brush peppers with oil. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until the skins begin to blister and the peppers are cooked. Place in a plastic bag and allow to cool. Remove skin and use as above.
- Brown rice salad with apricots and nuts: Use 500 ml cookedSpekko Saman Brown Rice as above, but omit leeks and haloumi. Add 1-2 slices feta cheese, broken into chunks with 250 ml chopped Turkish apricots. Substitute parsley with two large handfuls of rocket and nuts with halved pecan nuts and sunflower seeds, roasted. Two diced apples is also delicious in this version. Garnish with Parmesan shavings just before serving.
- Non-vegetarian version: Add roasted chicken, shredded to any of the aboveSpekkoSaman Brown Rice salads.
From the Spekko kitchen