½ Red onion, sliced
62.5 ml (¼ cup) White wine vinegar
30 ml (2 tbsp) Sugar
250 g Chicken livers, trimmed and dried
125 m (½ cup) Flour
Oil and butter for frying
1/2 Red onion, finely chopped
3 Garlic cloves, crushed
250 g (1 packet) Streaky bacon, chopped
1 Cup Spekko Saman White Rice
45 ml (3 tbsp) Fresh thyme leaves
½ tsp Smoked paprika
2 – 3 Cups chicken stock
Salt and milled pepper
1 Handful watercress
1. In a medium sized bowl, soak the sliced red onion in the white wine vinegar, sugar and a pinch of salt.
2. Season the flour with salt and pepper and coat the chicken livers with the flour.
3. Heat oil and butter in a medium pot and fry the chicken livers until the outsides are golden brown and the inside still lightly pink. Set aside.
4. Heat more oil and butter in the pot and sauté the onions and garlic until they are translucent.
5. Add the bacon and fry until crispy, being careful to not burn the onions.
6. Add the rice, thyme leaves and smoked paprika, and stir to combine. Pour in the chicken stock and simmer the rice until the grains have swollen and absorbed most of the liquid (about 15 minutes). Fluff the rice with a fork.
7. Place the chicken livers on top of the rice and garnish with the pickled red onion slices and fresh watercress.