oil for frying
2 onions, cut into petals
4 garlic cloves, crushed
10 ml (2 tsp) cumin
10 ml (2 tsp) coriander
8 chicken pieces
2 cups Spekko Saman Brown rice
salt and freshly milled pepper
1.5 liter chicken stock
peel of a lemon (cut the yellow rind off with a peeler…)
1 packet (125 g) pitted green olives
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large ovenproof casserole, heat the oil and sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander and cook for another 3 minutes. Set the onion and spice mix aside.
3. Add more oil to the casserole, add the chicken and brown well on all sides. Remove and set aside. Add the onion and spices back into the casserole and add the rice. Stir and season with salt and pepper.
4. Pop the chicken, lemon peel and olives on top and top up with stock. Cover and cook for 1 hour over a medium heat or in the oven (180ºC). Don’t stir.
5. Serve scattered with fresh parsley.