90 ml (6 tbsp) flour
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
15 ml (1 tbsp) paprika
2 kg oxtail pieces
30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
30 ml (2 tbp) butter
500 ml (2 cups) beef stock
15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato paste
15 ml (1 tbsp) dried mixed herbs
1 X 300 g punnet button mushrooms, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 onions, chopped
250 ml (1 cup) sherry
For the final finish
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter (extra)
30 ml (2 tbsp) flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Mix the flour, salt and paprika and dust the oxtail pieces with the seasoned flour.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large cast iron pot or Dutch oven and brown the oxtail in bathes. Set aside while browning the remaining pieces.
3. Add all the meat back to the pot. Add the beef stock and enough boiling water to cover the meat. Cover and simmer on a very low heat for an hour.
4. Add the tomato paste, herbs, mushrooms, pepper, garlic and onions. Cover and simmer on very low heat for another 3 – 3 ½ hours until the meat is cooked and almost “falls off the bone”.
5. Add the sherry and cook for another 15 minutes.
6. Mix the extra butter and flour and stir into the oxtail mix to thicken the sauce. Cook for another 15 minutes. Season to taste and serve with the Spekko Saman White Rice.