750ml (3 cups) Cooked Spekko Saman Brown Rice
500ml (2 cups) Ready-made white sauce (see below)
1 Cloves of garlic, crushed
30ml (2 tbsp) Chopped basil
250ml (1 cup) Grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Handful of herbs of your choice, e.g. Italian parsley
300g Spinach, chopped
125ml (½ cup) Cream
Knob of butter
Pinch of grated or ground nutmeg
Mushrooms and tomatoes
20 Baby tomatoes,
2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
4 Large black mushrooms
Olive oil to drizzle
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
2. Rice: Add Spekko Brown Rice to white sauce with garlic, basil and cheese. Season to taste.
3. Spinach: Lightly steam the spinach and drain. Stir in cream and butter and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
4. Mushrooms and tomatoes: Place tomatoes, garlic and mushrooms on a baking tray and drizzle a little olive oil. Season to taste and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly roasted. The tomatoes should not fall apart and the mushrooms should not be overcooked.
5. Divide 2/3 of the rice mixture between 4 plates. Place spinach on top and then a mushroom stem side up. Spoon reserved rice on top each mushroom and top with tomatoes.
Sprinkle with chopped herbs and serve immediately.
From the Spekko kitchen
1. To make 500 ml of your own white sauce, melt 45ml of butter in a saucepan. Stir in 45ml cake flour to form a paste. Gradually add 500 ml milk and stir continuously over a low heat until the sauce thickens and the flour is cooked. Season to taste and use as above.