30ml (2 tbsp) Olive oil, plus more for grilling
15ml (2 tbsp) Honey
1 X 440g Can pineapple chunks in juice, drained and cut into chunks (reserve
Salt and ground pepper
500g Pork fillet, cut into 2 cm cubes
1 Medium red pepper, cut into cubes
1 Medium yellow pepper, cut into cubes
1 Red onion, cut into cubes
375ml (1 ½ cup) Cooked Spekko Saman Brown Rice
3 Spring onions, thinly sliced
1 Celery stick, finely chopped
500ml (2 cups) Baby spinach leaves, blanched
125ml (1/2 cup) Bacon bits, cooked
125ml (1/2 cup) Italian salad dressing
5ml (1 tsp) Brown sugar
15ml (1 tbsp) Soy sauce
1. In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, honey and some of the pineapple juice; season with salt and pepper.
2. Alternately thread pork, peppers, onions and pineapple onto skewers; season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a griddle pan to medium, oil lightly.
4. Grill, brushing occasionally with honey mixture, until pork is cooked through and peppers begin to char, 10 to 15 minutes.
5. To make the rice salad: In a large bowl combine all ingredients together up to and including the bacon bits.
6. In a separate bowl mix together the dressing, sugar and soy sauce. Pour into the salad and toss. Chill before serving.
From the Spekko kitchen
• This recipe works well on a braai.
• Chicken breasts or thighs can be used instead of the pork.