3 potatoes, sliced into rounds
2 carrots, sliced
45 ml (3 tbsp) sunflower oil
2 onions, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 onion, chopped
10 ml (2 tsp) crushed garlic
10 ml (2 tsp) red chilli powder
5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
5 ml (1 tsp) garam masala
250 ml (1 cup) frozen peas
¼ cup fresh cream, optional
salt to taste
3 cups cooked Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
5 ml (1 tsp) yellow food colouring
125 ml (1/2 cup) boiling water
1. Pre-cook the potatoes and carrots by either boiling or frying them.
2. Heat the sunflower oil in a pot and fry the sliced onion until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
3. Fry the cinnamon stick and bay leaf until fragrant.
4. Sauté the chopped onion until light golden brown.
5. Add garlic and the ground spices. Stir for a second or two and then add the par cooked carrots, potatoes and frozen peas.
6. Season with salt and pour in the fresh cream.
7. Layer the cooked Basmati rice over the veggies. Drizzle food colouring over the rice and pour boiling water over the top.
8. Steam the vegetarian pulao over a low heat until the moisture evaporates and the rice is heated through.
9. Garnish with fresh coriander and fried onion slices.