500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
10 ml (2 tsp) salt
20 ml (4 tsp) sugar
1 x 10 g pack instant yeast
500 ml (2 cups) cooked Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
200 ml lukewarm water
2 slices feta cheese, crumbled
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh rosemary
2 red peppers, roasted and sliced (see below)
extra sprigs of rosemary
- Place dry ingredients and Spekko Long Grain Rice into a bowl and make a well in the center. Add oil and ¾ of the water and mix it in and mix to form a soft dough. Add a little more water if needed or if it is too wet add a small amount of flour. The dough shouldn’t stick to your fingers.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic to the touch. It should take about 10 minutes.
- Place dough back in the bowl and lightly oil the top. Cover with a clean cloth and place it in a warm place to rise to twice its size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, punch down and roll out into a rectangle the size of a small chopping board.
- Spread 2/3 of feta onto dough, sprinkle with rosemary and ¾ of peppers. Roll the dough up like a Swiss roll.
- Place roll onto a floured baking tray and press it into shape. Lightly press remaining feta and peppers into the top of the bread. Stud with sprigs of rosemary and let the bread rise to twice its size.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200 °C. Bake bread for 25-35 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Roasted peppers are available from most delis, but you can easily make your own. Preheat and oven to 200 °C and brush peppers with oil. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until the skins begin to blister and the peppers are cooked. Place in a plastic bag and allow to cool. Remove skin and use as above.
From the Spekko kitchen