1 Egg white, at room temperature
155 ml (1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp) castor sugar
375 ml (1 ½ cups) cooked Spekko Saman White Rice
80 ml milk
80 ml cream
2 Egg yolks, at room temperature
10 ml (2 tbsp) butter
½ tsp vanilla
80 ml fresh or frozen blueberries
80 ml fresh or frozen strawberries
5 ml chopped fresh mint leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 150° C.
2. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar while beating eggs.
3. Shape into small discs and bake for 1 hour. Switch off oven and keep meringue inside until cool.
4. In a saucepan simmer rice, milk, cream and ½ cup sugar. Stirring occasionally until heated through. Allow to cool.
5. Add egg yolks stirring frequently until all are fully incorporated. Return pot to the stove bring to the boil and continue stirring for 2 minutes. Add butter and vanilla extract. Set aside to cool.
6. In 2 separate sauce pans heat strawberries and blueberries with a little sugar and water.
7. Alternatively layer blueberries, rice pudding and strawberries in 4 parfait glasses.
8. Top with meringue disks.