Rice pudding soufflé
125 ml (½ cup) Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice
250 ml (1 cup) water
150 ml milk
120 ml cream
1 vanilla pod
100 g castor sugar
butter for greasing
extra castor sugar for coating
10 ml (2 tsp) corn starch, slaked in 30 ml water
5 egg whites
For the compote (sauce)
1 X 410 g can pitted black cherries, drained
30 ml (2 tbsp) castor sugar
chocolate ice cream to serve
- Heat oven to 180 °C.
- Cook the rice with the water, milk, cream and vanilla until soft. Add the sugar and blitz for 20 seconds.
- Add corn starch and put back on the heat until the rice thickens, then chill.
- Butter six medium sized ramekins and refrigerate. When the butter has hardened, coat with sugar.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Mix the rice mixture with a third of the egg whites. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites with a metal spoon.
- Chop cherries roughly. Add castor sugar and heat through. Chill.
- Spoon the cherry mixture into the moulds. Top with rice pudding mixture.
- Smooth the top off with a knife and make a rim with your finger around the top of the soufflé. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve with the ice cream.
- Use canned strawberries or youngberries instead of the cherries.
- Use Spekko Saman White Rice instead of the Jasmine.
- Compote is in essence, fruit stewed in sugar syrup, often flavoured with spices.
From the Spekko kitchen