For the stuffing
200 ml cooked Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
6 garlic cloves, finely crushed
3 green chillies, finely chopped
60 ml (4 tbsp) finely chopped coriander
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
Salt and pepper, to season
For the sardines
60 ml (4 tbsp) cake flour
Sunflower oil, to shallow fry
Herby olive oil
75 ml (5 tbsp) olive oil
2 green chillies, finely chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped coriander
Pinch of salt
1. First make the herby olive oil. Combine olive oil, chopped green chillies and coriander in a glass bowl. Season with salt and leave aside to infuse for thirty minutes.
2. Make the stuffing for the sardines by mixing the Spekko rice, crushed garlic, chopped green chillies, coriander and butter in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix with your fingertips until the stuffing becomes slightly sticky. Check seasoning. Cool for 10 minute in the fridge.
3. Rinse the sardines under running water and pat them dry with absorbent paper towel.
4. Season the sardines with salt and then spoon a little stuffing into the cavity of each sardine taking care not to over fill them.
5. Lightly dust both sides of each sardine in flour and gently shake off the excess. Place the sardines on a tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Heat the sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan and shallow fry the stuffed sardines until crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oil and dab off excess oil.
7. Serve with lemon wedges and herby olive oil.