1 x 400 g roll shortcrust pastry, thawed
500 ml (2 cups) cooked Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
400 g smoked or ordinary snoek, skinned, boned and flaked
125 g mushrooms, sliced
100 ml butter
100 ml cream
100 ml chicken stock or white wine
5 ml (1 tsp) ground nutmeg
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 extra large eggs, separated
Herb butter sauce
45 ml (3 tbsp) melted butter
5 ml (1 tsp) dried tarragon or dill
- Preheat oven to 200 °C. Divide pastry in half and line a large pie dish with one half.
- Blend half of Spekko Long Grain Rice and half of snoek, with mushrooms, butter, cream, stock or wine in a food processor to a puree. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Beat egg whites till stiff peaks form and carefully fold into rice mixture. Spoon half of the puree into pastry base.
- Mix remaining snoek and rice, season and spread evenly over snoek puree. Top with remaining snoek puree.
- Cover with other half of pastry and cut a hole in the centre of the pastry crust. Decorate with any leftover pieces of pastry.
- Beat one egg yolk and brush pastry with egg wash. Bake pie for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mix butter and herbs together and pour through the hole in top of the warm pie crust. Serve immediately with a green salad.
- For a healthier option, omit the butter from the puree and don’t add the butter sauce before serving.
- This pie can also be prepared with Spekko Brown Rice.
- Add the remaining egg yolk to scrambled eggs or use in any of the Spekko fried rice recipes.
From the Spekko kitchen