100 g streaky bacon, chopped (optional)
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped capers
250 ml (1 cup) cooked Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice
6 anchovy fillets, chopped
60 ml (¼ cup) coarsely chopped Italian parsley
2 cloves of garlic, crushed,
2 roasted red peppers, chopped (see below)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
12 thin slices of rump (about 120 g each) lightly is pounded to
250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
250 ml (1 cup) white wine
olive oil to fry
- Stuffing: Mix all the stuffing ingredients together and divide into 12 portions.
- Beef: Spread out slices of steak and top each with a portion of the stuffing.
- Fold lower end of meat over filling and roll up by folding sides of meat towards filling. Continue rolling to the top and secure each roll with toothpicks or tie with string or cotton.
- Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a frying pan and brown beef rolls on all sides.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting and add stock and wine to the pan. Cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes or until meat is cooked.
- Serve with a large leafy salad or steamed greens beans and roasted butternut.
- Roasted peppers are available from most delis, but you can easily make your own. Preheat and oven to 200 °C and brush peppers with oil. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until the skins begin to blister and the peppers are cooked. Place in a plastic bag and allow to cool. Remove skin and use as above.
- Cover rump slices with cling wrap and use a rolling pin or meat mallet to gently pound the meat thinner.
From the Spekko kitchen