For the sweet potato rice patties
¼ cup Spekko Saman Brown Rice
1 medium-sized sweet potato, peeled and chopped into quarters
1 onion, diced
2 spring onions, sliced
handful of fresh, mixed herbs, chopped
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
For the avocado burger bun
red onion rings
sliced cheddar cheese
- First make the rice patties: Cook the Spekko rice as per the instructions on the pack.
- Add the chopped sweet potato to a pot with boiling water. Boil over a high heat for 15 – 20 minutes until the potato is soft. Drain and mash the potatoes and cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the cooked rice and mashed potatoes.
- Fold through the chopped onion, spring onion, peppers and herbs.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper, mix through.
- Using your hands, shape mixture into balls just bigger than a golf ball. Flatten slightly with your hands. (You should be aiming to fit the burger into an avocado).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Fry the rice patties for 1 – 2 minutes, flip over and continue to cook until golden and crispy.
- To assemble: Slice the avocados length-wise in half. Remove the pip and peel away the skin from the avocado halves.
- Place a lettuce leaf onto each of the bottom avocado halves, top with a slice of red onion, tomato, a sweet potato rice patty, a slice of cheese and some relish. Place the second avocado half over the top.
- Sprinkle sesame over the top of each avocado. Gently press the seeds into the surface of the avocado flesh so that they remain in place. Serve and ENJOY!