Oil for frying
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
500 g ostrich mince
2 carrots, grated
30 ml (2 tbsp) curry paste
125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped Turkish apricots, soaked in 125 ml (1/2 cup) beef stock
30 ml (2 tbsp) chutney
60 ml (1/4 cup) chopped fresh coriander
250 g double cream yogurt
fresh bay leaves
125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped almonds
6 cups cooked Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice
- Heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and the garlic.
- Add the mince and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and the curry paste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and apricots and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir through the chutney and coriander and season to taste.
- Spoon into an oven proof serving dish.
- Mix the eggs and yogurt together and season. Spoon over mince mix.
- Stud with bay leaves and top with chopped almonds.
- Bake until the custard is cooked and the bobotie is golden – about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Serve with Spekko India Gate Basmati Rice.