3 medium red chillis (deseeded)
10ml dried shrimp paste
1 onion (chopped)
2 stems of lemongrass (outer layer removed)
1 thumb of ginger (peeled)
1½ cups Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
16 prawns (shelled and deveined)
500g fresh mussels (cleaned)
2 cans of coconut milk
1 tbsp canola oil
100g baby corn
4 pak choi (separated into leaves)
110g bean sprouts
1 lime (juice)
salt (to taste)
± 2 tbsp sugar (to taste)
Specialised equipment: food processor
- Place all the paste ingredients, plus a tablespoon of water, into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the oil to a pan and, when warm, add the prepared paste and cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and stir, then leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Cook Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice according to instructions on the packet.
- When the coconut milk mixture is ready add the baby corn, pak choi leaves and three-quarters of the bean sprouts and the lime juice. Now season with salt and sugar (to taste) then bring back to a simmer, add the prawns, cook for 5 minutes, the prawns should turn a pretty pink colour.
- In a separate pan with a lid, steam the mussels with ½ cup water for 5 minutes until all the mussels have opened (discard any mussels that don’t open during cooking).
- Add the mussels to the soup and 2 tbsp of the mussel liquid.
- Ladle the laksa into four deep bowls, then sprinkle over the remaining bean sprouts and the herbs.
- Serve with a side of Spekko Rice.