2 slices bread
500 ml (2 cups) milk
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
1 onion, chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) curry powder
30 ml (2 tbsp) grated fresh ginger
10 ml (2 tsp) rushed fresh garlic
30 ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp) turmeric
1/3 cup seedless raisins
30 ml (2 tbsp) apricot jam
30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
60 ml (4 tbsp) chutney
30 ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
10 g (1 sachet) tomato paste
1 kg beef mince
250 ml (1 cup) beef stock
salt and milled pepper
2 cups cooked Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine rice
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and soak the bread slices in the milk.
- In an ovenproof pot, heat the butter, then add the onions, curry powder, ginger, garlic, brown sugar and turmeric and sauté until the onions are tender.
- Add the raisins, apricot jam, lemon juice, chutney, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste and stir to mix.
- Add the mince and cook until the mince is browned
- Remove the soaked bread slices from the milk and add it to the mince. Keep the milk aside.
- Add the beef stock and mix. Season to taste and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk the eggs and milk.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the mince to a large glass bowl.
- Spoon the cooked rice into the ovenproof pot and spread it out evenly. Cover with the mince. Pour the milk and egg mixture over the mince and bake it in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes.